[debian-knoppix] KDE 3.1.2 packages in Debian/unstable and XFree 4.3 hack

Hello everyone,

I expect that there would be a lot of questions about how I managed to
install the KDE development packages from Debian/unstable (specifically
kdelibs4-dev Version 3.1.2-2) together with the xfree 4.3 packages
from http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386 ./ without recompilation
on Knoppix. The problem is, kdelibs4-dev claims to need xlibs_pic version
4.2.1 (!), and in fact there are dependencies to a libXinerama_pic in
the *.la files of that package. But so far, it looks like that
libXinerama_pic is not necessary to compile KDE or QT programs at all.

To save (me) some email traffic and questions, here is the recipe. Similar
to like I always say about the "installation of Knoppix on harddisk", this
is an evil hack; it will probably not work, destroy your entire system
etc. etc., "don't try this at home"...:

1.) After apt-get installing kdelibs4 from Debian/unstable (and losing
kdelibs4-dev temporarily because of dependency problems with the newer
xfree86 packages, download the kdelibs4-dev package from Debian/unstable
manually (do NOT use apt-get for this, because it will either try to
downgrade xfree to version 4.2.1 or refuse to install kdelibs4-dev).
Install the package with dpkg -i. Yes, this will seem to
fail because of the aforementioned dependency problem. Read step 2.)

2.) vi /var/lib/dpkg/status and /var/lib/dpkg/available, and remove
all occurences of xlibs_pic there in the kdelibs4-dev section.

3.) dpkg --configure kdelibs4-dev
This should magically work. kdelibs4-dev is now istalled.

4.) perl -pi -e 's/-lXinerama_pic//g' `dpkg -L kdelibs4-dev | grep '\.la'`

For an inexplicable reason, this works for me, and kdevelop can still build
KDE and QT applications. Since not all KDE 3.1.2 packages are available
in Debian/unstable yet, I have currently only the kdelibs*-packages of
KDE 3.1.2 installed, the rest is still KDE 3.1.1. The other packages are
probably coming in later this week, or so I was told.

Regards
-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/