Re: [debian-knoppix] Fwd: patent infringement

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:30:54PM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> El día 13 may 2003, Klaus Knopper escribía:
> > FYI.
> >
> > -Klaus
> >
> > ----- Forwarded message from CI Group <cigroup@lycos.co.uk> -----
> > Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:36:09 -0700
> > From: CI Group <cigroup@lycos.co.uk>
> > Subject: patent infringement
> >
> > hello there,
> >
> > your knoppix-customize project is infringing a pending patent. it is
>
>   Which pending, not valid in Europe, patent?

As you may know, it looks like the "software patents" will be
established in Europe this month by the European Parliament.

See http://www.eurolinux.org/index.en.html for details.

> I can claim that I hold a
>   patent on the wheel.

Sorry to disappoint you. The wheel was already patented by
John Michael Keogh in May 2001, australian innovation patent
no. 2001 1000 12 (see http://www.ipmenu.com/archive/AUI_2001100012.pdf).

> > requested of you to take it offline and inform the developers of this
> > infringement to prevent any future clashes in court.
>
>   I want to know which is this patent so prior art can be found, just in
>   case.

I already requested information about this claim. Unfortunately, the
mail sender did not reveal his companies address or legal contact
information.

Things like this will probably happen more often in the future, once
software patents are established in europe.

Klaus Knopper                           Technical Solutions & Finances
knopper@linuxtag.org                          http://www.linuxtag.org/
Phone +49-(0)631-3109371                        Fax +49-(0)631-3109372
LinuxTag 2003 - Europes largest Linux Expo       Where .com meets .org