Re: [debian-knoppix] cheat code that allows hd based knoppix from original CDROM

Dear Dennis,
     what you are asking seems pretty much the "anchor" feature that
has been present in DemoLinux since the very beginning (see www.demolinux.org):
the idea is that you throw an anchor on a hard disk with some information,
and next time you boot the CD, the anchor is found, startup is blazing
fast and you find all your data sitting there.
This allows you to run in a hybrid mode by interposing a layer between
the CD and the RAM, that we call "plume" (feather) wrt the "plomb" (lead)
represented by the CD-Rom. This feather can be small (10Mb) or as large
as you want, and depending on its size, it may allow you to install new
packages that will only reside in the feather.

The technology behind this valuable idea is not too complex, but the
creation of the feather is time consuming (beware of simple assertions
like "I just want /home and /etc in it": you will soon find out the
picture is less clear-cut). Current versions of DemoLinux perform
feather creation at cd creation time, but one may imagine to do it
at installation (anchoring) time.

Anyway, DemoLinux has not been very active lately on hardware detection
and the like, so next version will very likely be based on many Knoppix
packages. It is only fair then to take and reuse DemoLinux's anchoring
code/logic and put it into Knoppix.
I'll try to rewrite the code as cleanly as possible and let you know on the list
as soon as it's stable enough to be worth testing

--Roberto

--
--Roberto Di Cosmo

Professeur (on leave at/detache a INRIA Roquencourt)
PPS                             E-mail: roberto@dicosmo.org
Universite Paris VII            WWW  : http://www.dicosmo.org
Case 7014                       Tel  : ++33-(0)1-39 63 51 97
2, place Jussieu                Fax  : ++33-(0)1-44 27 68 49
F-75251 Paris Cedex 05
FRANCE.                  MIME/NextMail accepted
Office location:

Paris VII	 		INRIA Roquencourt

Bureau 6C14 (6th floor)         Bureau 13, Batiment 5
175, rue du Chevaleret, XIII    Domaine de Voluceau
Metro Chevaleret, ligne 6       Roquencourt