Re: [debian-knoppix] Installation of ide-scsi

Hi Ulrich,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 17:22:57 +0100, Ulrich Hermann wrote:

> it's realy great to install knoppix3.2. Unfortunately I have a problem
> to install the modil ide-scsi.

Because it's already there! See below.

>           modprobe ide-scsi
>
> The modul is not available. What's wrong?

The IDE SCSI emulation is not compiled as a module. This is necessary
because Knoppix cannot know in advance which /dev/hd? device is a CDROM
or a hard disk. When using IDE SCSI emulation fixed into the kernel,
one can use a kernel command line like "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi ...".
The kernel will automagically turn on the emulation for each CDROM
device found, leaving hard disks in normal IDE mode.

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                   perle@itm.tu-clausthal.de