[debian-knoppix] Re: Analyzing Knoppix extra stuff (Was: knoppix/bootcd like software?)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, sean finney wrote:

> > Klaus is very good in solving things the KISS way (keep it simple and
> > stupid). I am not very fond of the idea to "fuck up" everything just to
> > get it Debian compatible.
>
> well, i may be so bold as to say you don't understand what we're doing.
> personally, i will not be happy if the debian versions are any less
> capable than the packages that already exist.  however, there are some
> serious issues that will keep some of the packages out (like the init),
> and we're doing our best to see if there isn't some other way to solve
> these problems.  to repeat, if we can do this as we intend, there will
> be no noticable change to anyone using the stuff.  also, just because
> we import it into debian doesn't mean that klaus will want to use our
> versions of his stuff, he may decide he likes his way better.
And may be it is the other way around: We do not want to make Knoppix
Debian compatible but the part of Debian which is needed for Knoppix
Knoppix compatible.  In general Debian is quite flexible and open for
good technical solutions.  Knoppix is a brilliant technical solution and
our goal is to get a Knoppix from Debian.

> > >       RFP could someone check and issue an RFP bug if this makes sense for general use
> > >       BTS Packages which might be necessary to enhance in Debian to fit Knoppix needs
> >
> > Sorry for being clueless, but what is RFP and BTS?
>
> debian terms :)
>
> 	ITP: intent to package (saying "i'm going to package this")
> 	RFP: request for packaging (like ITP but asking someone else to do it)
> 	BTS: bug tracking system.  one of debian's great features.
Damn, people who write scripts to make a Debian system from Knoppix do not
know about the Bug Tracking System??? ;-)
Hey, I'm much to often faced to the fact that people do not know the most
straigtforeward method to contact Debian maintainers.  People, please learn
to use the BTS, just have a close look to reportbug and help the Debian
developers to make their packages to fit YOUR needs.  If there is no
response from users we can not support users as we would like to.

> yes, but i don't think that makes it merit its own package.  there's
> a lot of overhead space used per-package, plus what i mentioned about
> the Packages.gz files, it would waste lots of peoples' bandwidth to
> keep it outside of knoppix-utils (or knoppix-utils-common, since it's
> a shell script) package.
I think it is not only a matter of band width, but also of confusion.
I just think you get a better overview if stuff which is concerned to
one topic (building a Knoppix CD) is bundled.  A nice (perhaps simple)
documentation (like seans list or whatever) would also be of help
inside this package.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

PS: Sean, I see that our opinions about the goal perfectly fit together.
    I would support all you have said - just some supplements added here
    in my mail.