Re: Re: [debian-knoppix] Gnome 2.2 on KNOPPIX, please

Hi,

Eduard Bloch <inet@zombie.inka.de> wrote:
>> "some old xservers - xserver-vga16, xserver-s3v, xserver-mach64,
>> xserver-3dlabs, xserver-i128, xserver-w32 and maybe some other ones of 3.3.6
>> version, because xserver-xfree86 is used instead (see
>> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/Status.gz)"
>
>Yeah. Please read the comments to Tseng, S3, ATI. Only xserver-vga16 and
>xserver-3dlabs look like good candidates to drop when we use X 4.2.1
>drivers instead.

Maybe you are blind ???
from /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/Status.gz:

6.  ATI
      3.3.6:
            Accelerated support is provided for the Mach8 chips (by the
            XF86_Mach8 server), Mach32 chips (by the XF86_Mach32 server)
[...]
            for Mach8 and some old Mach32 chips.

If you don't understand: this means, that xserver-mach64 is unneeded !!!!

28.  S3
      3.3.6:
            Support (accelerated) for the S3 911, 924, 801, 805, 928, 864,
            868, 964, 968, Trio32, Trio64, Trio64V+, Trio64UV+, Aurora64V+,
            Trio64V2, and PLATO/PX is provided by the XF86_S3 server and the
            XF86_SVGA server with the s3_svga driver.
             Support (accelerated) for the ViRGE, ViRGE/VX, ViRGE/DX,
ViRGE/GX, ViRGE/GX2, ViRGE/MX,
            ViRGE/MX+ is provided by the XF86_S3V server.  Support (acceler-
            ated) for the ViRGE chipsets, as well as the Trio3D and
            Trio3D/2X, is provided by the XF86_SVGA server with the s3v
            driver.
[...]
            for the 911, 924, 801, 805, 928, 864, and 868, and versions of
            the 964 and 968 that do not use the RAMDAC chips listed above.
            The SuperSavage chipset is supported only in 4.2.1.

If you don't understand: this means, that xserver-s3v is unneeded !!!!

34.  Tseng Labs
      3.3.6:
            Support for the ET3000 is provided by the XF86_SVGA server with
            the et3000 driver. [...]
            Support (accelerated) for the ET4000/W32 series and the
            ET6000 is also provided by the *deprecated* XF86_W32 server
[...]
            for the old ET3000.

If you don't understand: this means, that xserver-w32 is unneeded !!!!

Should I continue ?
Please read the documentation more carefully - I don't have enought time to
write the same email three times !!!

>> These unneeded xservers waste more than 13 MB space!!! If Klaus decides to
>> incude GNOME2.2 - I'll try to find some free time for  help and find other
>> unneeded software (for example - orphaned libraries).
>
>a) it does not cost much time
>b) the list was setup manually, from package to package, so do not
>   expect to find much unused stuff
>c) Some things may appear unneded for _you_ but they were requested by
>   users, nevertheles.
In 1.7GB always there are some _really_ unneeded software - like these
xserver, orphaned libraries, theme or background packages, etc

>> I don't expect to include "every change and everything" - I only think about
>> most important desktops and applications.
>
>What is important? Who decides what is important and what not?
Users should decide what is important and what not. Perhaps voting is the
best solution.

God luck,
Mantas Kriaučiūnas <monte@mail.lt>
Jabber: <mantas@akl.lt>		ICQ: mantiena <44451746>
Meiles zinutes sirdies damai ar riteriui: siusk MEILE numeriu 1325.
Jei siunti draugui, po zodzio MEILE nurodyk jo mob. telefono numeri.
Zinutes kaina 1 Lt.  http://sms.delfi.lt/