Re: [debian-knoppix] Gnome 2.2 is realised

At Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 05:08:33AM +0100, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> > Gnome 2.2 is out.
> > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2/
> Yes, and some poeple are already telling me that it works even less
> than the completely broken 2.0 version did.

One of the problems Knoppix has here is that some of the Gnome 1 packages
were renamed package2; then in Sid these are "package" again. So Nautilus
has 3 installation candidates due to the "stable", "testing" and "unstable"
lines in the sources.list: Nautilus (which really is Nautilus1.06),
Nautilus2 (dunno which version that is) and Nautilus, which is Nautilus 2
;-)

Another problem is that gnome-session seems to have a bug. Without a
~/.fonts.cache-1 file it EATS memory. Yes: 199M for gnome-session :-(
Thus Knoppix will not start unless you have a HUGE setup.

I've built a setup with a .gnome and .fonts.cache-1 direcotry in /etc/skel
and a copy directive in the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45something file - we'll see
how that works out. I'll keep you posted.

V.
--
http://www.openoffice.nl/   Open Office - Linux Office Solutions
Valentijn Sessink  valentyn+sessink@nospam.openoffice.nl