[debian-knoppix] e2fsprogs and/or kernel 2.4.20 bugs?

Hi *,

In the past few days I had a chance to test Knoppix 3.1 2003-01-20 on
several machines, including running from CD and installing to hard disk
with my knx-hdinstall script.

It looks like mke2fs or e2fsck (or even the ext2 filesystem driver in
kernel 2.4.20 has bugs). After a USB storage triggered system hang, I had
to press the reset button. E2fsck did a full filesystem check
(as expected), corrected some usual errors and also optimized directories,
although it wasn't called with the -D option. After this check, many
files in /dev were missing. The next full filesystem check didn't even
complete because of unrecoverable errors.

Has anyone experienced similar problems with e2fsck 1.30-WIP?
A working e2fsck is very important, not only for the harddisk install,
but also for rescue purposes. BTW, what is this "-WIP" appended to the
version number?

Running Knoppix from CD, I had problems with a USB memory stick (Fujitsu
Siemens Memory Bird 128MB, vend/prod: 0xd7d/0x100) which worked perfectly
with kernel 2.4.18 (Knoppix 3.0) on the same machine.
After plugging in the stick on 2.4.20 (Knoppix 3.1) the following kernel
messages came up:
usb-ohci: unlink URB timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=2 (error=-110)
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb-ohci: unlink URB timeout
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=3 (error=-110)

Finally, a RealTek 8139 ethernet card (0x10ec:0x8139) didn't work with
2.4.20, but it worked flawlessly with 2.4.18. The 8139too modules was
loaded, but no packets were sent or received.

Is it just me or is kernel 2.4.20 a big mess?

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                   perle@itm.tu-clausthal.de