Re: [debian-knoppix] usb mouse configuration

Am Sonntag, 16. Februar 2003 15:40 schrieb Sara Mitri:
> Hi!
> This is my first time to write to a list and this is my last resort
> after having tried myself for so long!
> I'm trying to install my Logitech iFeel USB mouse on a Debian 2.4.19
> platform. What I have reached myself is that the mouse is detected at
> boot-up (you must be wondering, "well, great! so what's her problem?"
> The message at boot-up is something like
> hiddev0: HID iFeel Logitech mouse detected at usb1:2.0
> or something similar...
> According to the manuals what I have to do is
>   mknod /dev/usbmouse c 13 63
> and then make that my pointer device in XF86Config. I also read that
> after using the mknod command that I should be able to run
>   cat /dev/usbmouse
> and then move the mouse, which should display strange characters when
> I move or click or whatever... this does not happen, however. cat
> /dev/usbmouse says "there is no such device".
> What am I doing wrong? Is it the major and minor values I'm using or
> is there any other way to locate the device, does the "hiddev0" in the
> kernel message have anything to do with it??
> I'd really appreciate it if somebody answers, I'm almost there and I
> just have no idea what to try next!

Klaus is right it's /dev/input/mice or /dev/input/mouse0 ...

I did start KNOPPIX and copied the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to my hard disk
installation ...

Then the USB-Mouse did work flawlessly ...

cu

Fabian

PS: Entry in XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Buttons"               "5"
EndSection

PPS: I have the same mouse (Logitech IFeel so it should work!)