Re: [debian-knoppix] knoppix access to and from hdxx ?

Hi Trish,

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:51:11 +0100, Trish wrote:

> I have installed my 'new improved' hdinstall  (20th Jan version) and
> can't access my hda1 or hdb1 as 'knoppix' .  I can do this as root or su.
> I have done "mount /dev/hdb1 mnt/hdb1 -t vfat" (and similar for hda1)
> and tried to edit the /etc/fstab file (various ways) but nothing seems
> to work.
> I have a desktop icon with permissions that enable knoppix (user) and
> knoppix (group).  Is there something else I have to do?  I really need

I don't think that the icon permissions will affect the mount options.

> This is the relevant part of the file.
>
> # partitions found by Knoppix
> #/dev/hdc2 /mnt/hdc2 xfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

Does your mail program split long lines or do you really have to
following in two lines? It must a one single line!

> #/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat
> noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

Again: Does your mail program split long lines or do you really have to
following in two lines? It must a one single line!

> /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat
> noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix  0 0
                    ^^
Change this to rw and it will work.

Look at the manpage of the mount command (man 8 mount). You can all
mount options there.

BTW, a useful set of vfat mount options is included in the /dev/fd0 line:

/dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0

bye,
  Chris
--
Christian Perle                                   perle@itm.tu-clausthal.de