Re: [debian-knoppix] device names for scsi cdrw

Hi Dave,

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:46:37 -0700, Dave Price wrote:

> I have recently installed knoppix and am getting my first exposre to
> scsi emulation.
>
> I have an IDE DVD drive which now appears as scsi device 0,0,0
>
> Ialso have a real SCSI burner that used to be 0,3,0 and is now 1,3,0.
>
> What devices do I symlink to create meaningful names like /dev/dvd and
> /dev/cdrw?

cd /dev
ln -sf sr0 dvd
ln -sf sr1 cdrw

Of course you have to change the lines in /etc/fstab accordingly.

> (Also, is there an easy way to switch the emulation off, since I do not
> really require it on this hardware?

Just look at the kernel messages after booting the system:

dmesg | grep emulation

On my machine, the following output is produced:

ide-cd: passing drive hdc to ide-scsi emulation.
                      ^^^
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices

On my machine /dev/hdc is the CD drive. If I wanted to turn off SCSI
emulation, I'd remove the hdc=scsi from /etc/lilo.conf and reinstall
lilo.

bye,
  Chris
--