Re: [debian-knoppix] Re: OT: JP characters

On January 31, 2003 03:52 pm, you wrote:
> On ¦ÅûÇ¢ 31 ¨¾ 2003 7:44 À¢À, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> > On January 31, 2003 02:36 pm, you wrote:
> >
> > BTW, I just checked Kmail - Settings - Configure Kmail - Composer -
> > Charset and utf-8 is one of the default charset. Make sure you've got it
> > there too!
>
> So, have you got a Japaneese charset too.

I believe utf-8 "interprets" the japanese charset.

Here are a feew commands I issued to find out what I could about the japanese
characters:

locate unicode | grep -i jp

locate 10646

less /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/ISO_10646.gz

locate unicode | grep -i katakana

/usr/lib/perl5/unicode/In/Katakana.pl

> Thanks a lot for all the feedback. Lots got cleared for me.

I'm glad something got cleared for you. I'd like to say the same. For now, it
looks to me like a typical case of the blind leading the blind. :)

I suppose the file /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/ISO_10646.g has something to do
with producing the characters, but how do you get the graphics
from, for instance:

<de>    /x30/x67        HIRAGANA LETTER DE

From here on, you're on your own, my friend. I've told you all I can say,
which is nothing more than "Use locate" (man locate or slocate for the
instructions).

Don't forget I am presently using Slackware, not Knoppix. So files may be in
different locations or may not be on your system at all.

Take care and keep me informed if you discover anything. You suggestion of
using email is excellent. If you ever come back with definitive result, maybe
you can post to the list. I don't believe I will :)

Salut!

Gilles
--
La Masse critique