[debian-knoppix] hd corruption

Hi,

I have installed Knoppix 20/1/2003 twice on my hd - and both times, after a couple of days, the hd partitions have become corrupted, and knoppix has refused to boot.

The second time, I think my win98 partition was also corrupted - not fatally, but an unusually large amount of mb was being used.

I am not sure whether this is a hardware problem - scandisk doesn't report any problems, Knoppix from cd identified everything correctly, but I've had a very difficult time trying to install Linux, and Knoppix was the first to actually work. (Red Hat 8 and Mandrake 9 seemed to install, but both stalled on booting, after the message
Freeing unused kernal memory
{Mandrake:] 136k freed
[Red hat: 212kb freed]

I'm using an AJP (generic) laptop, from circa 1999, 10gb hd, 128k ram, Celeron 500mhz.

The question in a nutshell: has anyone had similar problems with hd corruption?
If it is a bug, it is pretty serious - but is it likely to be one?
As I say, I can't rule out a hardware problem.

John