Re: [debian-knoppix] Use of real-root-dev question

#include <hallo.h>
* Ernesto Domato [Wed, Jan 08 2003, 12:35:34PM]:
> Looking at the linuxrc script on the boot image I see that it's using:
>
> echo "0x100" > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
>
> as the way to change the root partition when it's done.
>
> So, the question is, why does it do that instead of the "pivot_root"
> method mentioned on the initrd documentation that comes with the
> kernel?, is there any reason for that?.

Yes. Kernel does not know much (or anything) about the filesystem on
that device, and its filesystem probing routine is dumb. And you cannot

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Heuristics are bug ridden by definition.
If they didn't have bugs, then they'd be algorithms.