Re: [debian-knoppix] hdinstall - new release

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 21:23:11 +0100, Paul Myatt wrote:

> Are you saying that I knx-hdinstall can only be run from the CD?

No, it can also run from ramdisk.

> The only reason I wanted to try hdinstall v.37 was that I have an old
> monitor and have to use fb800x600. If someone could tell me how to get
> knx-hdinstall v.30 to work with my monitor I'd be a happy man...

No problem. Boot your Knoppix CD, switch to the second virtual console
(ctrl-alt-f2) and type in the following commands:

sed 's/vga=791/vga=788/g' /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall > /knx-hdinstall
chmod 755 /knx-hdinstall
/knx-hdinstall

This copies knx-hdinstall from /usr/local/bin to / and replaces all
instances of vga=791 with vga=788. After that, permissions of the new
file are set to executable and finally it is run.

> Knoppix newbie. Spain

Linux newbie as well, I guess :)

bye,
  Chris