Re: [debian-knoppix] Try to emulate CD with HD...

On Wednesday 20 Nov 2002 16:49, Fabian Franz wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 20. November 2002 17:14 schrieb Ernesto Domato:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > Does someone knows how to emulate the CD booting process using a
> > HD?.
> >
> > What I'm trying to do is to build all the CD on a HD and be able to
> > test it before burning it. The idea that comes to my mind right now
> > is that I could create the compressed image and then make the
> > floppies with syslinux that finally mount the compressed image from
> > the HD, if all this works fine (the floppies and the compressed
> > image), in that stage I should burn the CD with the compressed
> > image on it and using the images of the floppies "syslinux" boot
> > process, changed to mount the compressed image from the CD, as the
> > boot process of the CD.
>
> You don't need to emulate this ...
>
> The Boot-Disk will try to find the knoppix-compressed-fs on all
> harddisks ...
>
> Just make sure you have the whole KNOPIX folder copied to the root of
> your hd ...
>
> /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
>
> There you can place the new compressed-fs ...

This works great! Has anybody worked out whether its possible to do this
without the bootfloppy, directly from GRUB?

BTW. it would be nice if /dev/cdrom mounted the partition from /KNOPPIX
downwards, not just the whole partition. Then one could put the
index.html file in /KNOPPIX/index.html and keep the default bookmarks
in the browser working.

-- Steve