Re: [debian-knoppix] Better(?) create_compressed_fs and small guide.

#include <hallo.h>
* Justin A [Wed, Nov 13 2002, 05:37:55PM]:

> I re-wrote create_compressed_fs so it doesn't need to read the entire cd into
> memory anymore.  That way you don't need a gig of ram/swap to make the
> image:)  It works slightly different now, but the end result is the same.  It
> seems the image it makes is slightly different, but extracting it creates an
> identical iso to the old version, and mounting it shows the files inside to
> be identical.  I really don't know how it works...It just does :)

Hm. I tried to make the same thing and got the same idea with
calculating the offset area before writting data, but was too lazy to
implement it (we have RAM ;).

> I also wrote up the method I use to remaster the cd, with the new way to use
> create_compressed_fs.
>
> so...here you go:)
>
> you can get newer versions of these files and a deb for cloop-utils here:
>
> http://s.bouncybouncy.net/~justin/code/

Buggy. Fails when using unexpected block size:

# mkisofs -R -l  -print-size -quiet mutt | create_compressed_fs - /tmp/test.img.cl 64000 216760320
Block size 64000, number of blocks 3387.
offset is 136
13688
Partial read (7 bytes of 64000), padding with zeros.
Block#     0 / 3386 size      7 ->     94 [compression ratio 1342%, overall: 1342%] 0% done
Done.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
>Actually, Microsoft is sort of a mixture between the Borg and the Ferengi.
Stimmt doch eh nicht, die letzten beiden wissen wenigstens, wie man etwas baut!