Re: [debian-knoppix] Include wipe into Knoppix

Hello Christian,

Sorry, I'm not going to include wipe, because it's useless.

We had this discussion before, but I'm summarizing it anyways. ;-)

Depending on which filesystem you use, erasing a file by copying random
data over it is not going to physically destroy the file contents on
your harddisk. Journaling filesystems for example create new blocks
when you overwrite a file, rather than overwriting existing ones. So,
even doing a dd if=/dev/urandom of=file_to_be_shred (which is what wipe
does), does not necessarily do what you expect.

Concerning tapes: use dd. it is faster and present on every Unix
installation.