[debian-knoppix] Stupid question: Boot in text mode

I have a stupid question.

I know if I type "knoppix 2" it will boot in text only mode.
But I would like to customise a boot floppy to do that by default.
So a hint on how to change the syslinux.cfg is welcome

Background:
When booting into ab vmware (I know it is not free nor free),
I don't succeed to make X11 work.
It take a bit of time for knoppix to try various graphic card driver and
fail.
I would like to save that time (but without having to type at boot prompt).
Any other solution like "xwin=none" or ??? is welcome.

David GLAUDE