Re: [debian-knoppix] ide-scsi and multilun support

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:43:04PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> Steffen Evers wrote on Sun May 05, 2002 um 10:50:05PM:
> > Knoppix has the same problem like the debian kernel descripted here:
> >
> > Can be aixed as descript there (by turning off multilun support).
>
> Blah. Removing multilun support is not acceptable for a distribution
> kernel (IMO), since you cannot support CD changers without it.  Instead,
> the ide-scsi driver should be fixed to not report 8 luns for one disk
> bay.
>
> As temporary solution, I suggest to set max_scsi_luns=1 kernel argument
> as-default and tell the users to override it if they have CD changes or
> other multilun devices.

Problem: I did that once (around Kernel 2.4.12, I believe) and it had NO
effect at all. There were still 7 SCSI-CD-Roms answering the same ID,
showing up as /dev/scd0..6.

I have not tried it for Kernel 2.4.18 yet, though.

We DO need the SCSI emulation in any case, because otherwise
IDE-CDwriters don't work too well.

Regards
-Klaus
--
Klaus Knopper                  LinuxTag 2002 - Europes largest Linux Expo
Technical Solutions                                 Where .com meets .org