 Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 02:56:24 -0500 (EST)
 From: "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh@mimosa.com>
 To: bug-parted@gnu.org
 Subject: fat32 cluster size too small

 I used parted to create a 60g fat32 partition on a hard disk.  When I
 used MS Win98's scandisk on the partition, it said:

 	ScanDisk could not continue because your computer does not have enough
 	available memory

 I was rather shocked since I wasn't running any other applications
 (except the stuff that has managed to start itself) and I have 256M of
 RAM.

 According to
 	<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q229154>
 the problem is that the cluster size is too small for this size of
 partition.  The cluster sizes are supposed to be:

    Hard disk size     Cluster size
    -------------------------------
    512 MB to 8 GB      4 KB
    8 GB to 16 GB       8 KB
    16 GB to 32 GB     16 KB
    32 GB and larger   32 KB

 I think that parted gave this partition a 4k cluster size.

 I didn't actually check.  For one thing, I don't know how to check.
 For another, I immediately broke the partition into three of 20g to
 avoid the problem (before I found the MS Knowledge Base article).

 I had the same problem with the 20g partitions.  In this case, I have
 evidence that the partition given by parted was 4k.

 I'd say that this is a bug in parted: it should conform to the rules
 outlined in q229154.

 Once parted gave them a 4k cluster size, Win98's format (quick or
 full) would not change it.  Even if I deleted the partitions and
 recreated them!

 I eventually solved the problem by dd'ing 10 megs of /dev/zero over
 the start of each partition and then using Win98's format (full).
 What a hack!

 I'd say that this behaviour is a Win98 bug.  But I'll never convince
 Microsoft.

 It might be nice to be able to specify a desired cluster size in the
 mkfs command (for fat32 file systems).

 It would also be nice to have a command that would display the cluster
 size.

 Hugh Redelmeier
 hugh@mimosa.com  voice: +1 416 482-8253

 PS: I was using parted 1.6.3 on KNOPPIX GNU/LINUX 3.1 of 2002-12-12.

 PPS: thanks very much for creating parted!  A very useful tool.