Re: [debian-knoppix] Adding more security tools?

Thanks, yes, you are right. ;-)

Sad though. I really like adding stuff, but it is always a tradeoff
against something else that has to go.

Maybe it is time to think about a way to solve that issue.

We would like to customise/localise Knoppix.
There is a demand for French speeking (mostly OpenOffice) Knoppix.
And Knoppix is already German+English OpenOffice + KDE many language + many keyboard=language. I think there is a JapanKnoppix too.

I don't want to tell you how you should do your Knoppix, but maybe some space could be saved by removing some stuff (like Removing German in the English CD and Removing English from the German CD).

If there could be a Knoppix a bit smaller that is more language neutral and that could be used to add languages to it, I think it would be great.

My believe is that if some space is saved by removing multi-language feature of current Knoppix, then we have more option to add language specific stuff. Actually I was thinking about putting some .deb next to the big KNOPPIX file and at startup, add those language specific stuff (like OpenOffice in french). This mean it is possible to customise without changing the base KNOPPIX file, it make centralised development for the base and distributed for the language. I did think about Translucid file system (to patch) or mounting specific language KNOPPIX.fr that contain localised stuff in a specific tree (with link from the main KNOPPIX). I mean two file system that are mounted with cloop.

If you are to change your KNOPPIX to permit that kind of localisation, wich technical way would you like best.

David GLAUDE