Re: [debian-knoppix] Disaster Recovery

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 02:43:51AM -0400, Nathaniel Pendleton wrote:
> Ummm... How do I copy from locked folders?
> Do I need to chmod the filetree I want to copy?

No, under Linux you can read any folder and file as root
(even ntfs if you use the default mount options which should be
mount -o ro,uid=knoppix,umask=000 -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1)

As for ext2 or other Linux native filesystems, you should not
have to chmod anything, because as root the file permissions are
basically ignored. Youi should try to repair the filesystem
after rescuing the data with fsck /dev/partitionname.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper