[debian-knoppix] Knoppix English FAQ 20020524 [German by Klaus Knopper, translated by Kurt Yoder, edited by Nathaniel Pendleton]

Author, original German: Klause Knopper
German to English Translater: Kurt Yoder
English Editor: Nathaniel Pendleton
Modified from Yoder translation by Pendleton 20020524
List post date: 2002-05-24
(but the German FAQ document is several months older)
[Start Translation:]

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT KNOPPIX

=========================

Q: How do I get the CD/current beta?

A: Several possibilities: (Note: listed websites are in German)
 a) Download an ISO form one of the mirrors listed at
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/.
 b) The LinuxTag 2001 CD with KNOPPIX and the presentation materials from
the last LinuxTag can be ordered at Lehmanns Online Bookshop at
http://www.lob.de.
 c) If time permits me: Send me a stamped self-addressed return CD mailer
envelope with a 700 Mb CD-R to KNOPPER.NET (web form:
http://www.knopper.net/kontakt/?kontakt=knoppix
) for a current test version containing the newest software packages and
updates.
 d) You can order the newest CD from http://www.liniso.de/ or
http://www.kernelconcepts.de/ and have it sent to you.

---

Q: My computer won't boot from CD. What should I do?

A: Set your computer's BIOS to boot first from CD.
To look inside your computer BIOS to see the boot order,
on most PCs hit "Delete" key during the RAM test at boot (aka POST).
Some PCs use "F2" instead of "Delete."

If the CD is already set as your first boot device in the BIOS,  your
computer may not be able to read the CD (some notebooks have
problems with black-coated CD's, for example).
Some computers will only use the new BIOS settings after a hard reset.
If your computer doesn't support booting from CD, you can create a boot
floppy using the "rawrite" program in the "KNOPPIX" directory on the CD.

---

Q: I downloaded KNOPPIX via WWW/FTP or got a downloaded version from a
friend. My PC will boot off of it, but the bootup stalls after a bit or I
only see the background picture, and nothing else happens. What's going on?

A: Try downloading the ISO again. You may have only a partial ISO download.
If you got a partial ISO, the CD will never work. If Knoppix CD bootup
stalls,
and you hear your CD-ROM drive whirrr and chatter while making repeated
read attempts it is very likely you got a partial ISO. This is fatal because
the
directory tree is written at the beginning of the CD, so it is usually
complete
and readable, but the actual data and files are not there!

Some possible solutions can be found in the section "What are MD5 files?"
and "How can I get the CD?".

---

Q: What are these strange MD5 files that accompany the ISO CD images?

A: These dot MD5 files are checksum numbers used to prove
two files match exactly. Checksum applications add up the bits from
a file, such as a PDF or ISO, and output a big number called
a checksum numbers.

The MD5 tool is the most popular and free checksum application.
The MD5 tool creates the .MD5 checksum number files.

When downloading a datafile, also download the author's checksum
number of that datafile. Run MD5 on your new download to get a new
checksum number. If the new checksum is identical to the authors
checksum, and both datafiles are the same size, you have a perfect
copy of the authors file.

Under Linux, type "md5sum -c filename.md5" to get the new checksum number.
information about MD5 and programs for various OS's can be found at
http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/. You can download a Windows(TM) version at
http://www.toast442.org/md5gui.shtml.

---

Q: How can I set up my printer?