Re: [Debian-knoppix] Unreadable Colors on Toshiba Satellite 4090XCDT

> From: Klaus Knopper <knopper@linuxtag.org>
>
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:58:42PM +0100, mz@bacher.at wrote:
> > The Notebook sports an Trident Cyber 9525 chip and under WinNT4 it runs ok
> > utilizing a 16bit colorspace.
>
> Could it be that the vesa framebuffer support is broken for this
> chipset? If so, adding vga=normal as knoppix boot option would
> repair at least textmode.

It looks like if this is the case:
Boottext is ok now (although in "non-zoomed textmode"), but when bringing up
X, Graphic's bad again.

Textconsoles are still ok though.

> > Cheating at boottime with "depth=16" bring's no effect
>
> 16bit is default for Knoppix. Try depth=24 (but I doubt that Toshiba
> laptops support that).

You are right - this one has not enough video memory.
My personal Satellite Pro 4600 can this but the Cyberblade XP chip in
it is a whole mess with Linux :-(((

> > (xmodule=vesa of course; any allready tested Toshiba needs that here).
>
> Try xmodule=fbdev. This is reported to work on at least ONE Toshiba
> notebook. Of course this only works if you did NOT boot with vga=normal.

negative; no change.

> Maybe loading the Toshiba kernel module does something, too, though it is
> primarily for APM support, AFAIK.

well - there I've to dig in later tomorrow - I'm too tired right now ;-)

thanks a lot,
good night
;-)
/mz