Re: ocfs2_dlmfs missing from the cloud kernel

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 05:34:57PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > how do I change this?
> > You install the non-cloud kernel.
>
> The cloud kernel is limited in scope.  And the decision was that not
> everything you can do on platforms is in scope.

To clarify the scope a bit, historically the cloud kernels have
specifically targeted Amazon EC2 and Microsoft Azure.  The rationale for
this is that these providers present a consistent and reasonably well
defined device model, meaning we can be sure what drivers and other
kernel features are needed and which we can leave out.  It is not
intended to be usable on every cloud service.

The module in question, ocfs2_dlmfs, is not, to my knowledge, generally
useful in the cloud environments targeted by the cloud kernel.

If we had the resources, it'd be great provide further optimized kernel
builds, e.g. one for EC2 specifically, Azure specifically, GCP, and
maybe some sort of OpenStack/QEMU VM definition.  Unfortunately, we do
not currently have those resources.

So, IMO, a wishlist bug against src:linux asking for another build
configuration would be a reasonable way to record an interest in such a
change.  The kernel team may be able to provide more context on which
specific resources would be needed in order to support this.  Maybe in
the future it'll get implemented.

noah