Re: Upcoming changes to Debian Linux kernel packages

On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 2:54 PM Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 07:30:49PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > The core problem is that people assume they can get headers matching the
> > currently running kernel, without upgrading first, see also the parallel
> > thread.
>
> If the new kernel has a regression that affects the user, the user
> usually has no good choice other than downgrading to the previously-used
> kernel and continue using it until a fixed kernel is available.
>
> How will the user get the headers matching this previously-used kernel
> that are required until we provide a kernel with the regression fixed?

I know there is a lot of history behind the linux-headers package in
debian.  However since 5.2 there is a kernel config option, which
allows you to build the kernel headers as a module (built-in or
external)..

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/IKHEADERS.html

As long as this was enabled (ignore bugs/regressions), users can go
back and forth on kernel versions as they wish.

Regards,

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/