Building custom kernel

Hello,

I used to build kernels with a custom config from the latest bullseye-backports kernel. I was following chapter 4.2.3 of the debian kernel handbook, like this:

$ fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen setup_amd64_none_amd64
$ make -C debian/build/build_amd64_none_amd64 nconfig

This doesn't work anymore with 6.1.12-1~bpo11+1. The directory debian/build/build_amd64_none_amd64 isn't even created. It looks to me like the first command doesn't do anything at all.

If there have been changes to the build system which are not (yet) reflected in the handbook, could someone give me a clue how to do this now?

Thank you,
Andreas

P.S.: Please CC me personally on replies, I am not subscribed to the list.