Re: CONFIG_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC=y?

On Tuesday, 17 October 2023 19:07:30 CEST Ben Hutchings wrote:

> > It seems an important difference between your view and mine is that you
> > look at the end result, while I look at what's configured in the Debian
> > kernel repo.
> >
> > While some options are enabled in the end result, NONE is configured in
> > the Debian kernel repo. And that could have major, unwanted, consequences.
>
> Where are you seeing that?

[salsa.d.o/kernel-team/linux]$ grep -r PREEMPT_DYNAMIC debian/config/
[0 results]

> We enable CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY in debian/config/config.
> That's replaced with CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT for the RT featureset, and with
> CONFIG_PREEMPT for loongson-3 (as a bug workaround).
>
> The actual kernel configurations for 6.4 and 6.5 seem to be consistent
> with this, except for the addition of CONFIG_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC on x86
> non-RT configurations.

Yes, that's what I meant with 'end result':

[amd64]$ grep PREEMPT_DYNAMIC /boot/config-6.5.0-2-amd64
CONFIG_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC=y
CONFIG_HAVE_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC=y
CONFIG_HAVE_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC_CALL=y

[arm64]$ grep PREEMPT_DYNAMIC /boot/config-6.1.0-13-arm64
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC=y
CONFIG_HAVE_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC_KEY=y

(I don't think the kernel version difference matters in this case)