Re: Upcoming changes to Debian Linux kernel packages

On Tue, Oct 03, 2023 at 03:00:53PM -0500, Robert Nelson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 2:54 PM Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> wrote:
> > How will the user get the headers matching this previously-used kernel
> > that are required until we provide a kernel with the regression fixed?

The same as now: nowhere, because those packages have been removed from
the archive already.

And sadly you did not answer the question why a second degree error must
not be worse then a worked around first degree error?

> I know there is a lot of history behind the linux-headers package in
> debian.  However since 5.2 there is a kernel config option, which
> allows you to build the kernel headers as a module (built-in or
> external)..
> https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/IKHEADERS.html
> As long as this was enabled (ignore bugs/regressions), users can go
> back and forth on kernel versions as they wish.

If it would be so easy.  This would include all the generated things of
the build.  But it still needs all the static headers, all the support
binaries and scripts (shipped as linux-kbuild-*), which also change with
every version.

Regards,
Bastian

--
Each kiss is as the first.
		-- Miramanee, Kirk's wife, "The Paradise Syndrome",