Re: HFS/HFS+ are insecure

On Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 10:55:39AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> Unless somebody has a better idea then then my plan is to ship in the
> next upload of kmod a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ which uses the blacklist
> directive to prevent automatically loading some file system modules.

I think this would break any existing fstab entries that reference hfs
and hfsplus, and the convenient way to integrate Linux boot with x86
Macs is certainly to have an hfsplus EFI partition so this may be a
legitimate use-case. It also means that anyone who has a need to use one
of these filesystems in a static manner is vulnerable to automount
attacks using them.

Completely untested, but I think something along the lines of:

SUBSYSTEM!="block", GOTO="udisks_insecure_fs_end"
ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="hfs", ENV{UDISKS_AUTO}="0"
ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="hfsplus", ENV{UDISKS_AUTO}="0"
LABEL="udisks_insecure_fs_end"

in a udev fragment should work? Any static fstab or mount units should
still work, but it should disable udisks automounting regardless of the
desktop agent involved, even if the fs modules are already loaded.