Re: Debian kernel testing on syzbot

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 07:47:11PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2023-06-28 at 10:26 +0200, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Jun 2023 at 16:46, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Our team works on syzkaller/syzbot kernel fuzzer:
> > > https://github.com/google/syzkaller
> > > https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/docs/syzbot.md
> > >
> > > Currently we test the upstream kernel and recent LTS releases:
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/upstream
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/linux-6.1
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/linux-5.15
> > > and report bugs to upstream developers:
> > > https://groups.google.com/g/syzkaller-bugs
> > >
> > > Due to Debian's relevance as one of the most widely used Linux
> > > distributions, we plan to test the Debian kernel as well.
> > >
> > > We were thinking about testing the "testing" release only initially.
> > > Or do you have other suggestions here?
>
> If you want to find issues affecting the next release, then that's the
> right choice.  But if you want to find issues that still need fixes
> uploaded, then "unstable" is the right choice.  Any fixes in testing
> need to go via unstable.
>
> > > Do you want bugs to be reported privately first (to some closed
> > > mailing list) with some embargo? Or do we make them public (visible on
> > > syzbot dashboard) right away as we do for upstream/LTS?
> >
> > +Ben, you were pointed out as the person to provide "the official" response :)
>
> I'm just one person on the kernel team, and not the most active at the
> moment.  Salvatore Bonaccorso is doing most of the security updates.
>
> > To clarify: we are not asking nor imply that anybody will actually act
> > in any way on the reported bugs. I mean anybody is welcome to, but
> > don't have to.
> > We can also just create a public web dashboard (+new opt-in mailing
> > list), if that's what we agree on here.
> >
> > And if there is an active interest in acting on the reports, we can
> > also test the unstable release (that's the better place to fix,
> > right).
>
> If syzbot is able to distinguish bugs that are reproducible on Debian
> patched kernels but not in the corresponding stable releases, I think
> that would be very useful to us.  My guess is that this would be a
> manageable rate of bugs and we could receive those privately.  What do
> you think, Salvatore?
>
> If this isn't possible, then it's unlikely we will have the time to
> look at the issues.  You can create a public web dashboard but I don't
> know if that's going to help anyone.

Yes, I do agree with the above. If syzbot can do that separation then
it would be useful, and think we can agree to get those reports
privately to either a deidcated set up distribution list or directly
to the Debian maintainers. In first stance I guess that would be Ben
and me, and possibly the others listed as Uploaders for the src:linux
package.

OTOH, I fully agree, if syzbot canot distinguish issues reproducible
only with Debian patches applied I think we won't really have the free
time to investigate those reports. As we are doing this in our free
time.

Thank you for approaching us on this!

Regards,
Salvatore