Re: Debian kernel testing on syzbot

Hi!

On Wed, Jul 5, 2023 at 7:48 PM Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 at 08:53, Bo YU <tsu.yubo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi

> > > Ok, we will probably proceed with testing with no notifications for now.
> > >
> > Sorry, I'm sorry that I suddenly ran into this topic.
> > Personally, I think the sid(unstable) kernel is more appropriate for syzkaller.
> > Unstable by itself means unstable, if we have any issue we can fix it quickly.
> > Testing needs to be migrated from sid, which may cast a long time. In addition,
> > it is closer to upstream.
>
> Hi Bo,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> If there will be active interest in looking at the report and fixing
> them, then we can set up unstable testing as well.

Thanks. But I am not a member of kernel team(just a kernel newbie) and
please follow your initial decision. Personally, I'm probably more concerned
about the bugs in the RISC-V kernel, so this may add to the burden of
the kernel team.

> > BTW, as a Debian RISC-V porter, I am wondering the syzkaller if is arch-indep
> > or not. You know Debian supports many architectures. If sure, I hope syzkaller
> > can support Debian/riscv64(yeah, it is in sid now, but it will be
> > entered into testing
> > soon).
>
> Per se syzkaller is completely arch-independent.
> It may lack descriptions for some arch-specific kernel interfaces
> (like arch_prctl's, arch-specific KVM ioctl's, etc). But there are
> usually few of them.
>
> However, on our testing infra we can test riscv only using qemu tcg
> emulation, which is extremely slow. So the riscv instance we have just
> mostly rediscovers and traps on arch-independent bugs that all other
> faster instances find much easier.
> Here is the list of bugs currently happening on the riscv instance:
> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/upstream?manager=ci-qemu2-riscv64
> And here is list of bugs that happens _only_ on riscv instance and not
> on any other one:
> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/upstream?only_manager=ci-qemu2-riscv64

Thank you very much for this valuable information which is what I was
looking for, thanks! I hope I can do something for it.

BR,
Bo