Information About The Linux Kernel Maintenance In Debian

Dear kernel maintainers,

I'm a CERN employee currently evaluating Debian as a possible solution for our
systems in use to control particle accelerators. I would like to know more about
how the Debian community handles the Linux kernel integration. In particular, I
can't easily find the following information:

- Criteria to select a kernel version for a Debian release. It looks to me you
  are following LTS releases, but as you know kernel LTS is a moving target in
  terms of duration. So, how you choose?

- How much a Debian kernel diverges from kernel.org release overtime?

- I see you explain how to build and run any kernel from kernel.org, but I do
  not see and discouragement in doing so. Is this because you do not see any
  known incompatibilities ?

Thanks :)

--
Federico Vaga