Re: Updating firmware-nonfree and open-athk9-htc-firmware in bullseye-backports

On Sat, 2023-04-22 at 16:33 +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Dear Backports Team,
>
> I have just uploaded two firmware packages to bullseye-backports:
> - firmware-nonfree
> - open-ath9k-htc-firmware

I've got a rather small /boot (235 MB, ext2), and trying to upgrade
firmware-nonfree fills it up when initramfs-tools trigger generates
initrd.img-5.10.0-21-amd64:

  /dev/nvme0n1p2  235M  227M     0 100% /boot

The weird thing is that "du -hsx /boot" only reports 87M. There are no open
deleted files according to lsof, and the situation remains even if I
remount /boot. Furthermore, there are no errors during update-initramfs,
and the generated initrd image seems fine (70593887 bytes).

On another machine, update-initramfs just fails, and the disk does not fill
up:

  update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-21-amd64

  gzip: stdout: No space left on device
  E: mkinitramfs failure gzip 1
  update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-21-amd64 with 1.
  dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
   installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess
returned error exit status 1
   initramfs-tools
  needrestart is being skipped since dpkg has failed

This machine has identical disk layout, but has less disk space remaining
since it is still running the previous kernel version (5.10.0-20), and has
two kernels installed under /boot. After the error, it reports the free
disk space correctly (and the initrd.img remains untouched):

  /dev/sda2       235M  165M   58M  75% /boot

I think I've seen this before a long time ago, and it was resolved by
simply rebooting, but I'd like to understand why this happens and how to
avoid it (other than increasing the size of /boot).

Anyone else seen this?