Re: Request for Realtek rtw89_8852be driver

Hi Diederik,

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 06:24:29PM +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > Le 2023-03-26 15:12, Andy Smith a écrit :
> > > This driver seems to be present in upstream kernel from 6.1:
> > >     https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.1/source/drivers/net/wireless/real
> > >     tek/rtw89/rtw8852be.c>
> > > but doesn't seem to be in any Debian kernel package at present.
>
> While a skeleton version of that file is present, it does not seem to be a
> complete driver (in 6.2 it's already 'fuller'), but more importantly, in the
> Kconfig file there is no RTW89_8852BE, so it can't be enabled in Debian's 6.1
> kernel.

Ah, okay. I did see some comments somewhere that it would be present
in an upstream 6.2 release, so that makes sense.

> > > Will this driver make its way into a bookworm kernel at some point,
>
> No, but the DKMS built saw a recent improvement :-)

Okay, so perhaps I should wait for bookworm-backports to be a thing
and then that may include a 6.2 or later kernel package which has
this driver, since upstream should also.

I don't strongly want to run testing on this laptop and am only
doing so because release is so near, but at that time I'll keep an
eye on what the situation is for the trixie kernel.

> The RTW89_8852CE module is available in the 6.1 Kconfig file, so it _could_ be
> enabled, but whether that's useful without an explicit request is another Q.

I personally won't do this for rtw89_8852ce as I don't have the
hardware to test it.

Thanks!
Andy