Minimum requirements for bootable Debian kernel

Hi
I have been working with a group of Panasonic Toughbook enthusiasts to fix hardware issues with the Linux kernel and Toughbook hardware. With the help of the kernel devs we have set up the kernel config to enable our hardware. Now we would like to develop a smaller kernel that is devoid of most of the unnecessary bits and pieces that our machines do not use.

Now to my current problem. I have tried to fully modularise the kernel so I can get a list of the modules that our hardware actually uses and in doing so I can remove all the modules our hardware does not require. The problem is with "make allmodconfig" the kernel is not bootable. I also tried a tiny config but it is also unbootable. So my question is what parts of the kernel are a must have to ensure it is bootable. After I get it booting I can add or remove modules as required.

Cheers.
Michael.