Re: OCFS2 and GFS2 in -cloud kernel images

Hi Lukas

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 05:18:37PM +0200, Lukas Martini wrote:
> I understand the cloud images are supposed to be stripped down images with
> only the bare essentials for cloud operation.

Even more, they are destined for certain environments.  OpenStack
technically is not part of that, but works in a lot of cases as a
generic OpenStack is just kvm and virtio, the same as GCE.

And some parts are disabled simply because they are large and of really
uncertain use.

> However I think it's quite unfortunate that the OCFS2 and GFS2 modules are
> also disabled compared to the regular kernel config since I would argue
> those are _especially_ useful in a cloud environment.

Actually I don't think this is true.  Why would you use GFS if your
environment already provides a redundant shared file storage for you?
Or can use a distributed store like ceph, which does not require huge
kernel extensions and are way more resilient.

> For example, OpenStack offers multiattach images that require a shared-disk
> file system like these. I think Amazon AWS added a similar feature recently
> too.

Azure supports it, GCE supports it as a preview.  I did not find
anything about AWS.

> Is there any chance these could be re-enabled for the cloud images, or is
> the official advice to just switch to the regular images where those are
> needed?

I don't think this warants shipping GFS and/or OCFS.  If you really,
really want it, use the generic image with the full kernel, which is
required for several OpenStack environments anyway.

Regards,
Bastian

--
You're too beautiful to ignore.  Too much woman.
		-- Kirk to Yeoman Rand, "The Enemy Within", stardate unknown