Re: Question about patches to bnxt_en driver in buster

On Thu, Dec 02, 2021 at 01:35:39PM +0100, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 09:53:46AM -0500, Andy Gospodarek wrote:
> >
> > [top-post]
> >
> > Adding debian-kernel@lists.debian.org in the event that my first message
> > unintentionally made it to dust-bin.  :)
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 04:09:00PM -0500, Andy Gospodarek wrote:
> > >
> > > Salvatore,
> > >
> > > Hello!  I do not think we have met before, but I'm currently working
> > > with Michael Chan et al at Broadcom on drivers for our network cards and
> > > wanted to write to ask a quick question or two regarding adding a
> > > feature to the Buster (4.19-based) kernel.
> > >
> > > Broadcom submitted ~20 patches to 4.20 that added support for a new
> > > family of 100G adapters (Thor/575xx) to the bnx_en driver.  Along with a few
> > > bugfixes we expect that as many as 30 patches would need to be added to Buster
> > > to have full support for Thor (including bugfixes).
> > >
> > > I noticed that there are more than this many patches to the ena driver
> > > already included in the buster kernel.  This makes it feel like this
> > > request is not out of scope for Buster.  The questions are:
> > >
> > > 1.  Am I correct that adding new hardware support in this manner would
> > > not be too much for Buster?
>
> The short answer to this is "it depends". Generally adding Hardware
> support is one of the measures we would allow as well in stable
> releases. But we more aggresively now try to follow closely the
> respective stable series, that is for buster 4.19.y, which we
> regularly rebase. If it is likely to conflict too much hindering
> proper and fast following rebases with the 4.19.y stable series then
> the best option for users would be rather using backports.
>
> > > 2.  Would you prefer if we did the backport, or would it be better if we
> > > provided a list of the upstream commit IDs and the kernel team would
> > > want to backport?  We would also want to test this, so we are happy to perform
> > > and test the backport.
>
> This goes hand in hand with the above part. You can as well provide
> the patchset.

I totally understand both aspects of this.  My expectation is that the
answer would be along these lines as (1) I understand you do not want to
disrupt the normal process of pulling from linux-stable and (2) it's not
always clear how acceptable something will be until you see what it is.

> > > 3.  Shall we file a bug at bugs.debian.org when are are ready or are there
> > > better ways to submit a feature request?
>
> Filling a bug for requesting would in any case be welcome for the
> tracking part, but the contribution/proposal can then be directly as
> well as merge request via https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux
> project. An accompaning Debian bug report can make us tracking it with
> an appropriate Closes marker.
>
> Hope this helps!

Yes, this is really helpful.  Thank you.

We can do the backport and submit a pull-request via the Debian GitLab
instance.  This is nice as we can use all of the standard tools to
submit this for maintainers' review.

Take care,

-andy