Packaging of carl9170 firmware

Dear Debian Kernel Team and friends,

I currently maintain the open-ath9k-htc-firmware package, which is the
flagship firmware for libre USB 802.11n wireless adapters. Unlike the
firmware in firmware-linux-free, this gets built from source using a
cross compiler, rather than shipped as a pre-built blob.

carl9170 is ath9k_htc's cousin which is also libre firmware. I've been
working on packaging the cross toolchain necessary to build this with
the Electronics Team; AR9170 devices have a SuperH-2 CPU. My ITP bugs
for Binutils and GCC (including Newlib) are #980889 and #986778
respectively.

If no one objects, I tentatively plan to make a new carl9170fw source
package that I'd seek sponsorship of here, and with your permission,
maintain within the Kernel Team. This will not replace the binary in
firmware-linux-free, however, until I can make the necessary changes to
kernel-wedge to support using this firmware in the Debian Installer:
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/179d6d32466dd13962a3aab251c45242fbf2d8ae.camel@decadent.org.uk

Happy hacking,
John