looking to use loop-AES with initramfs tools and root

Hi.
I want to use loop-AES for my encrypted root partition (the real thing, not
the compatibility mode offered by cryptsetup to mount old loop-AES volumes)
and I'm looking to make it play nice with the initramfs tools.
Basically I just have to make initramfs scripts use a special version of losetup
(which is not going to be interfering with the one in the utils-linux package,
I'll just rename it losetup-aes or something) instead of cryptsetup.
I've yet to take a look at it but by the existence of the cryptsetup-initramfs
package I came to the conclusion that the initramfs tools are maybe written in
a modular fashion so that it's easy to plug-in support for something
different than cryptsetup.
So, I guess cryptsetup-initramfs is a good place to look into in order
to achieve my goal right?
Thanks
John