Re: User NS usage and attack surface mitigation on debian

On Tue, 2021-06-15 at 13:04 +0200, HolyTaint wrote:
> I stumbled upon this answer from three years ago (
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=898446)
> "User namespaces *are* enabled - but by default, they can only be
> created by root".

Note that this default has been changed in the kernel version available
in testing/unstable.

> I need clarifications on that, cause I didn't quite know how
> namespace management works.
> I experimented a bit, from what I got it creates a namespace
> originating from the user asking it, and using it as normal user was
> disabled by default because it clearly adds lots of attack surface by
> exposing code that would normally be used by just root. Also in this
> little space there is a mapping between namespace users and
> originating user
>
> What I didn't quite got is, does this patch allow creating namespaces
> belonging to an user from root, thus avoiding the possibility of
> privilege escalation, or having user namespaces running from
> unprivileged users is a threat by itself?
[...]

If by "belonging to a user" you mean "user appears as uid 0 inside the
user namespace, and may have some capabilities there" - then yes, it is
possible for root to create a user namespace belonging to another user.
(I don't know exactly how to do that, though.)

The program is absolutely right; therefore, the computer must be wrong.