Re: [Question] Backporting ACPI fix to Buster kernel?

Hi Georgi,

On 5/30/21 9:44 AM, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:
Debian unstable and testing have no security support. As Linus Torvalds
has said, security issues are bugs so the bugs will be fixed but
unstable and testing have no official security support in Debian.

I know, I remembered security support for testing was planned or at least discussed several years ago. I first started to run Debian in 2001 (2.2r3), but ran mostly stable over the years. The packages are old, but not as old as on RHEL, and I like not having surprises and not getting delays and bugs I wouldn't have hit on stable. Stable is very well tested and generally works pretty well, except for minor annoyances. I ran testing for a few months, many years ago, and returned to stable.

On the other hand Debian 11 (testing) (AMD64) is quite stable and
current stable (Debian 10) has more bugs than testing (Debian 11) so you
can check existing bugs for Debian 11 and if you decide then you can
install and use Debian testing (Debian 11).

I think running testing now would be ok due to the freeze before the release. For future reference, I was told today in #debian-kernel on OFTC that "kernels with important security fixes usually go into testing within a week during the freeze", and I was also pointed to #988422 - kernel 5.10.40 will probably get pushed to testing soon (hopefully also on bpo), so running a backported kernel would probably be ok if the fix doesn't get backported to 4.19 for the next point release.

Thanks,
Laurențiu