How to define kernel meta-package successor?

In the past we had on hppa/parisc up to four debian kernel variants,
for 32- and 64-bit kernels, with and without SMP:
linux-image-parisc
linux-image-parisc-smp
linux-image-parisc64
linux-image-parisc64-smp

Then we got live-patching working on the hppa kernels, which made extra
SMP kernels superfluous. So, since commit fc6f1855ec7f
("[hppa] Merge parisc SMP- and UP-kernels.") we now build only two kernel
variants, one for 32bit UP & SMP, and one for 64bit UP & SMP:
linux-image-parisc
linux-image-parisc64

My problem is now:
People installed linux-image-parisc-smp in the past for SMP machines.
"apt upgrade" does not upgrade to "linux-image-parisc" which it now should
and a newer "linux-image-parisc-smp" packages are of course not available.
This can be seen in this example (it stays at kernel 4.19, but I'd like it to go to 5.6.14):

root@debian:~# dpkg -l | grep linux-image
ii  linux-image-4.19.0-5-parisc-smp 4.19.37-6                  hppa         Linux 4.19 for multiprocessor 32-bit PA-RISC
ii  linux-image-parisc-smp          4.19+105                   hppa         Linux for multiprocessor 32-bit PA-RISC (meta-package)

root@debian:~# apt search linux-image-parisc
linux-image-parisc/unstable 5.6.14-1 hppa
  Linux for 32-bit PA-RISC (meta-package)

root@debian:~# apt upgrade

How can I flag the "linux-image-parisc" meta-package to become a successor of the
"linux-image-parisc-smp" meta-package (e.g. Provides: linux-image-parisc-smp)?
How can this be realized in the debian kernel sources?

Thanks,
Helge