5.6 kernel crashes host when using VFIO on KVM guests

Sorry to email directly but I've tried reportbug but it doesn't seem to work with the kernel packages.

The 5.6.0-1 kernel in Sid when used in conjunction with VFIO (PCI passthrough) guests in Qemu-KVM causes KVM to crash with no useful logs - the guest partially starts. Eventually the host slows down and needs to be powered off. Doesn't affect non-VFIO guests using spice/headless, only when passing through a PCIe graphics card or USB keyboard/mouse.

5.6.0-2 that just landed makes this infinitely worse - as soon as you start a VFIO guest the host hard crashes.

5.3/5.4/5.5 kernels do not have this problem with the same version of Qemu and reverting from qemu 5.0 to 4.2 doesn't help, so it must be the 5.6 kernel causing the issue.

Not sure what logs or any useful information I can supply you, there's some interesting comments on this reddit thread suggesting a couple of bugs that have fixes upstream:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/glfgqs/qemu_5_vfio_no_longer_works_on_debian/

I'm using macos catalina and win10 guests to reproduce the issue, and using Intel not AMD chips.

Cheers.

--
Simon John