Re: CPUs which work with the stable version of Debian Buster

On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 17:28 +0100, Mick Ab wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I wish to have a desktop built which will have the latest stable version of
> Buster - Debian 10.3 - as the operating system.
>
> I understand that Buster was frozen on 12th January 2019. Does this mean I
> should use a CPU that was on the market before the freeze date to ensure
> the CPU works okay with the operating system ?

It's not quite as simple as that.  Buster has Linux 4.19, for which the
feature freeze was in August 2018.  But some manufacturers make sure
their hardware is supported in Linux many months before it's actually
released.  So there's not a clear cut-off date.

Really you'll need to ask a more specific question.

> I do not wish to use back ported versions of Buster, but only the latest
> standard version I.e Debian 10.3.

You can use buster and install *just* a newer kernel version from
buster-backports.  The software update system (APT) will keep updating
the kernel from buster-backports and everything else from buster.

Ben.

> My knowledge of Linux is very limited, so I do not understand the
> literature which accompanies updates, backports,
> etc.
>
> I would be very grateful if someone could help me in this matter.
                                                      - Albert Einstein