kernel-handbook: How to rebuild official Debian Linux kernel package with debug info disabled?

-----------------
Mentor Graphics (Deutschland) GmbH, Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München / Germany
Registergericht München HRB 106955, Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Alexander Walter
--- Begin Message ---
Hi!

To test something, I need to rebuild the official Debian Linux kernel
package, so I'm following
<https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official>
"4.2. Rebuilding official Debian kernel packages".

    # apt-get --purge install build-essential fakeroot
    # apt-get --purge build-dep linux/testing
    $ apt-get source linux/testing
    $ cd linux-5.4.19/

As disk space is limited, I'd like to build with debug info disabled, so
per the instructions given I "disable debug info by changing the value of
'debug-info' to 'false' in 'debian/config/defines'".  I ignored the "(or
'debian/config/*arch*/defines' in older package versions)" remark, as I
didn't think I was building an "older package version".

    $ PATH=/usr/lib/ccache:$PATH
    $ fakeroot debian/rules source
    $ fakeroot make -f debian/rules.gen binary-arch_i386_none_686-pae

After a few hours that exploded with "disk full", and indeed
'CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y' is set in
'debian/build/build_i386_none_686-pae/.config' (the file matches
'/boot/config-5.4.0-4-686-pae').

I now see:

    $ grep -r -B1 debug-info debian/config/
    debian/config/amd64/defines-[build]
    debian/config/amd64/defines:debug-info: true
    --
    debian/config/s390x/defines-[s390x_build]
    debian/config/s390x/defines:debug-info: true

..., so I'll try again with setting 'debug-info' to 'false' both in
'debian/config/defines' and 'debian/config/i386/defines'.

Why do some of these configuration files override the generic one
(without giving rationale), and/or do the kernel-handbook instructions
need to be updated?

Grüße
 Thomas

--- End Message ---