Re: RFH: wireless-regdb

(Please don't top-post.  And sorry for not replying here sooner.)

On Fri, 2020-01-31 at 14:05 +0100, Romain Perier wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> On my side, as DM, I would like to maintain more packages in Debian so I
> can continue to improve my skills on this topic.
> I am currently maintaining raspi-firmware, but that's a binary blob and a
> package in non-free, even if I am happy with it, non-free
> is not the most interesting place to learn things, imho..  :)  (at least
> not completely compared to "main")
>
> I am part of the kernel-team (at least, I think) and I would be very happy
> to help you to co-maintain this package.
> The only blocking issue I see is perhaps the fact that I am a DM (I mean,
> regarding certificate of the kernel)

I don't think this should be an issue.  The trust stores for wireless
regulatory database in crda and in the kernel are not used for any
other purpose (like verifying modules).

So, your help is welcome.  Please generate a signing key and
certificate (debian/README.source explains how to do that but might not
be totally accurate), test that you can build a new source package.
Then I can add you to Uploaders, and add your certificate to crda and
the kernel.

Ben.

> Regards,
> Romain
>
> Le ven. 31 janv. 2020 à 11:54, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> a écrit :
>
> > I've finally updated wireless-regdb this week, and it now provides the
> > kernel-loadable regulatory.db file.  However, with the certificate
> > embedded in the kernel, it's even less practical for anyone to NMU
> > wireless-regdb if necessary.
> >
> > I don't want to be the single point of failure for this package.
> > So I'm looking for a co-maintainer, preferably already in the kernel
> > team.  You would need to generate a signing key pair and certificate
> > (README.source has instructions for this) and we would then add this
> > certificate to the kernel.
> >
> > Ben.
> >
> > --
> > Ben Hutchings
> > 73.46% of all statistics are made up.

Anthony's Law of Force: Don't force it, get a larger hammer.