Re: libbpf distro packaging

On 8/13/19 2:24 PM, Jiri Olsa wrote:
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 07:04:12PM +0000, Julia Kartseva wrote:
I would like to bring up libbpf publishing discussion started at [1].
The present state of things is that libbpf is built from kernel tree, e.g. [2]
For Debian and [3] for Fedora whereas the better way would be having a
package built from github mirror. The advantages of the latter:
- Consistent, ABI matching versioning across distros
- The mirror has integration tests
- No need in kernel tree to build a package
- Changes can be merged directly to github w/o waiting them to be merged
through bpf-next -> net-next -> main
There is a PR introducing a libbpf.spec which can be used as a starting point: [4]
Any comments regarding the spec itself can be posted there.
In the future it may be used as a source of truth.
Please consider switching libbpf packaging to the github mirror instead
of the kernel tree.
Thanks

[1] https://lists.iovisor.org/g/iovisor-dev/message/1521
[2] https://packages.debian.org/sid/libbpf4.19
[3] http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/devel/rawhide/x86_64/l/libbpf-5.3.0-0.rc2.git0.1.fc31.x86_64.html
[4] https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf/pull/64

hi,
Fedora has libbpf as kernel-tools subpackage, so I think
we'd need to create new package and deprecate the current

but I like the ABI stability by using github .. how's actually
the sync (in both directions) with kernel sources going on?

The upstream kernel's tools/lib/bpf/ is always source of truth. Meaning, changes need
to make it upstream first and they are later synced into the GH stand-alone repo.

Thanks,
Daniel