Kernel 5.2 in experimental branch.

On 22.06.19 17:31, Mmobilea wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an question. I recentlly saw a kernel version in fedora rawhide
> 5.2. Why it isn’t on debian experimental branch

linux-5.2 upstream isn't final yet (still rc6).

And the debian kernel build system is really complicated. I have no idea
why it is so complicated, but I really believe, we should clean it up.

The package tries to build several completely different trees at once.
It makes several copies of the orig tree and applies different patch
queues (which seem to be maintained pretty manually), for different
flavours. And the magic for constructing the actual .config's is also
pretty complex and hard to understand and maintain.

IMHO, the best approach would be having separate source packages for
the individual flavours, and maintain everything directly in git
(yes: no text patches at all).

With a few minor patches (*1), we can directly use the existing upstream
`make deb-pkg` machinery via usual debuild+friends toolchains - all it
then takes is adding the proper .config file and fire it up to builldd.
Really, it can be *sooo* simple.

*1) https://github.com/metux/linux/commits/wip/debian-master

--mtx

--